NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. THIS CONTEST IS INTENDED FOR PLAY IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA ONLY AND WILL BE GOVERNED BY U.S. LAW. DO NOT PARTICIPATE IF YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE AND LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES OR CANADA AT THE TIME OF ENTRY.
These Official Rules are for the UPICKEM Football Contest (the "Contest"), which is a nationwide contest (including both the United States and Canada) Sponsored by Second Street Media Inc. ("Sponsor"). Local affiliates who choose to participate in this Contest may offer prizes for their participants only, but eligibility for these prizes may be restricted to individuals in the affiliate's local area.
Contest entries will be accepted beginning at 12:01 am ET on Sept 1, 2014. Entries will be accepted until the published cutoff time for each game as posted on the picks page of this website.
This Contest is not intended to be used for gambling purposes. If it is determined that a participant is using the Contest for gambling purposes, he/she will be disqualified.
1. ELIGIBILITY: This Contest is open to legal residents of the 50 states of United States and the District of Columbia, who are 18 years of age or older, and legal residents of Canada (excluding Quebec), who are of legal age of majority in their province of residence, at the time of entry. Employees of Sponsor and participating affiliates (the "Promotion Parties"), and members of the immediate family (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouse) and households of each such employee are not eligible to participate. This contest is void in Quebec and where prohibited by law.
2. HOW TO PLAY: Select the team that you will believe will be the winner of each pro football regular season and playoff game and predict the score for the winning and losing team for designated the tie-breaker game. You may enter your picks and score predictions until fifteen (15) minutes before the start of each game. If you fail to select a winner for any game, your pick will be the team that was selected by the majority of participants. However, you are not eligible to win a weekly prize if you fail to select a winner for more than one game in a given week, and you are not eligible to win the grand prize unless you complete your picks for each game for at least 11 weeks. The point value for selecting the winner of each game is as follows:
Regular Season Games – 1 point
Wild Card and Divisional Playoff Game – 4 points
Conference Finals – 8 points
Championship Game – 16 points
If a game is canceled, postponed or forfeited for any reason, or if a game ends in a tie, no points will be awarded for that game.
The participant with the most points for each week of the pro football regular season will be deemed a weekly prize winner. The participant with the highest total "net score" at the end of the season will be deemed the grand prize winner. A participant's total "net score" will be determined by subtracting the participant's four (4) lowest weekly scores from his/her total score for all 21 weeks of the season and playoffs.
In the event of a tie for a weekly prize, the tie breaker will be set forth as follows from among all tied participants: (a) the score from the winning team will be subtracted from the actual score obtained by the winning team, and the difference multiplied by itself, (b) the Score from the losing team will be subtracted from the actual score obtained by the losing team, and the difference is multiplied by itself, (c) the result in (a) is added to the result in (b) to obtain the “Score Approximation.” The participant with the lowest “Score Approximation” will be deemed the winner. If a tie remains, a winner will be randomly chosen from the still tied entries. Results will be posted in the Sunday Wisconsin State Journal and online at madison.com on the Sunday following each week’s games. Please allow 4 weeks for delivery of winner’s check. Winners grant Capital Newspapers and madison.com the right and permission to publish their name and likeness in print and online.
Participants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules and that the decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding on all matters pertaining to the Contest. The Contest ends following the start of the pro football Championship Game.
3. WINNER NOTIFICATION: Winners will be notified by email. All posted results are unofficial until winners are verified. If a winner does not respond within seven (7) days of the initial notification email, the prize will be forfeited and awarded to the next highest scoring participant. Prizes won by an eligible participant who is a minor in his/her state of residence (a resident of AL or NE who is 18 years of age) will be awarded to minor's parent or legal guardian who must sign and return all required documents. Sponsor is not responsible for any change of email address, mailing address and/or telephone number of participants.
4. PRIZES: The Promotion Parties reserve the right to substitute any prize with another prize of equal or greater value. Prizes are non-transferable and no cash equivalent or substitution of prize is offered, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor.
The Promotion Parties have not made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize, including but not limited to its quality, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose. Any and all warranties and/or guarantees on a prize (if any) are provided only by the manufacturer, and winners agree to look solely to such manufacturers for any such warranty and/or guarantee. Each winner is responsible for all federal, state and local taxes and may be required to complete an IRS form W-9. Sponsor reserves the right to withhold prizes until completed form W-9 is received.
Two weekly prizes will be awarded: one to the print participant with the most points and one to the online entry participant with the most points. Of the two winners, the one with the highest score will receive the grand prize of $500 and the other will receive a $100 Metcalfe’s Market grocery card. No purchase of alcohol or tobacco can be made with gift certificate. Gift certificate is not redeemable for cash. A number of winners will be selected by random drawing of all the valid entries to receive a gift card from one of the participating sponsors ($25 value). Prizes are nonrefundable and non-exchangeable. In the event of a tie for a weekly prize, the
tie breaker will be set forth as follows from among all tied participants: (a) the
score from the winning team will be subtracted from the actual score obtained
by the winning team, and the difference multiplied by itself, (b) the Score from
the losing team will be subtracted from the actual score obtained by the losing
team, and the difference is multiplied by itself, (c) the result in (a) is added to
the result in (b) to obtain the “Score Approximation.” The participant with the
lowest “Score Approximation” will be deemed the winner. If a tie remains,
a winner will be randomly chosen from the still tied entries. Results will be
posted in the Sunday Wisconsin State Journal and online at madison.com on
the Sunday following each week’s games. Please allow 4 weeks for delivery
of winner’s check. Winners grant Capital Newspapers and madison.com the
right and permission to publish their name and likeness in print and online.
In addition, all participants will be entered in a national contest.
Weekly prizes - One NFL themed Fathead of the winner's choosing will be
provided to the winner (as specified above) by Fathead, LLC. The
approximate retail value of the weekly prize is between $89 and $99.
Overall prize - The Grand Prize for the national contest is a trip for two to Hawaii. Includes airfare
from United States and 7 nights lodging in Maui valued at $5,000. Trip
must be taken in 2015. Food, gratuity and incidentals not included. Cash
prize of $5,000 can be substituted for the trip.
5. LOCAL RULES: Must be at least 21 years of age to enter. Up to 10
entries per household, per week are allowed. Online entries are limited to one
per person each week. Original entry forms only; photocopies and facsimiles
will be disqualified. Multiple entries may be mailed in the same envelope. No
purchase necessary. Entry forms are available in the Capital Newspapers lobby,
1901 Fish Hatchery Road, Madison (Limit: One entry form per person, per day).
Any disputes or challenges to the published results must be directed to the
Capital Newspapers Marketing Department within 5 business days of publication
of winner ad. Employees and family members of employees of Participating
Sponsors, Capital Newspapers, the Wisconsin State Journal, The Capital Times,
or any of their subsidiaries or associated publications are ineligible for this
contest. The $500 Bump ‘N’ Run Challenge Grand Prize may not be won more
than once per season by the same household.
6. GENERAL CONDITIONS: A participant grants to Sponsor and the local affiliates the right to use and publish his/her proper name and state/province or residence online and in print, or any other media, in connection with the Contest. By accepting a prize, a winner grants Sponsor and the local affiliates the right to use his or her name and likeness for advertising and promotional purposes without further compensation. Participants agree (a) to release and hold Sponsor, Promotion Parties and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents harmless from any and all liability for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including death, or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of the prize or participation in this Contest; (b) that under no circumstances will participants be permitted to obtain awards for any punitive, incidental or consequential damages; (c) all causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (d) any and all claims, judgments, and award shall be limited to actual out-of- pocket costs incurred, excluding attorneys' fees and court costs.
8. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Sponsor and Promotion Parties are not responsible for Internet crashes or slowdowns caused by network congestion, viruses, sabotage, satellite failures, phone line failures, electrical outages, natural disasters or acts of man or God, lost, late, misdirected, postage-due, unintelligible, returned, undelivered entries or email, or for lost, interrupted or unavailable satellite, network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), Website, or other connections availability, accessibility or traffic congestion, miscommunications, failed computer, network, telephone, satellite or cable hardware or software or lines, or technical failure, or jumbled, scrambled, delayed or misdirected transmissions, computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic or network. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of this Contest or Website, or act in violation of the Official Rules, or act in any manner to threaten or abuse or harass any person, or violate Website's terms of service, as solely determined by the Sponsor, will be disqualified. Neither Sponsor nor Promotion Parties are responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information whether caused by Website users, tampering, hacking, or by any of the programming or equipment associated with or used in this Contest, and assumes no responsibility for any errors, omission, deletion, interruption or delay in operation or transmission or communication line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized Website access. Any use of robotic, macro, automatic, programmed or like methods of play will void all such plays, and may subject that participant to disqualification. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual (and all of his or her submissions) who tampers with the submission process. Neither Sponsor nor Promotion Parties are responsible for injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer or property related to or resulting from participating in this Contest. Should any portion of Contest be, in the Sponsor's sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, unauthorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair administration, security, fairness or proper play of this Contest, or Contest plays, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest.
9. WINNERS: For a list of winners, mail a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Second Street Media, Inc., 317 N 11th Street, Suite 200, St. Louis, MO, 63101. Requests must be received by February 28, 2015.
This contest is sponsored by Second Street Media, Inc., 317 N 11th Street, Suite 200, St. Louis, MO, 63101.
UPICKEM is a trademark of Second Street Media, Inc. The content, information, data, designs and code associated with the Contest website are protected by intellectual property and other laws. Copying or unauthorized use of any copyrighted materials, trademarks or any other intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited.